Sunday, June 16, 2013

Quilt as you go patchwork bags

Have you ever done a Craftsy course?

Inline image 3

I have. Well, no. I haven't really. I've bought heaps of them over the last year, but most of them are half watched*.Until last weekend, that is. I was lucky enough to do a course by Tara Rebman - quilt as you go patchwork bags! And it hooked me from the get-go. I sat there all Saturday morning, fueled by coffee, laughs, and buckets of inspiration.

Inline image 2


I learned all about quilting as you go. About potholders. About that insulbrite stuff. About using scraps, and making bags.

And about not being so precious about your precious fabrics - just use them! Seriously, just this bit of encouragement has change the way I look at my stash.

I asked some questions, Tara answered them. And then I went out that afternoon and bought some of that insulbrite stuff, some calico (utility cloth) and some interfacing. I've already practiced on a potholder, as Tara showed in her course. I used the precious fabrics I purchased at the Sydney Quilt Show on Wednesday. I still have to round the corners, back and bind it, but people - I love it. GUESS WHAT EVERYONE IS GETTING FOR CHRISTMAS?

Potholder in progress

And a side artsy fartsy profile. I didn't know my Bernina could quilt that good!

Potholder in progress

I am dying to make the bag, but with the exhibition coming up I need to be a bit careful with my time. But I do intend making one in time for the exhibition - it will be perfect for four days of presidential duties gazing at the quilts and shopping, and the bike ride there and back each day!

Anyway, Tara has generously allowed the readers of this blog a 25% discount off the course. I honestly can't recommend this enough. You'll have fun and you will definitely learn something!

* Which is a whole other blog post of it's own.

1 comment:

  1. Hi

    Love this. I've thinking about this class, though I am enrolled in 19. The elephant fabric is the best

    As President you must have a quilted bag..can't wait to see it

    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.